Dear Tarpey Families,
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year! I hope you have had time this summer to relax and are ready to gear up for school again. We are aware that you have many unanswered questions and probably anxious to hear about what school will look like this year. We want to thank you for your patience and would like to share some new information. To say this year is going to be different is an understatement. We know that virtual learning will have its challenges, but we are confident that together, our Tarpey staff and community will work to support our students to grow in mind, body, and spirit. As we plan for the re-opening of school, below are frequently asked questions and answers:
When will I meet my student’s teacher?
- Your student’s teacher emailed or contacted you to set up a scheduled meeting with you. At this meeting, your child can meet their teacher and they will discuss with you online learning.
What if I didn’t get a call or do not have a meeting set up?
- Please email your student’s teacher via email (can be found on the school website) and set up a meeting or contact the main office and we will guide you in the right direction.
Can I change my time slot?
- Please follow the sign-up time slots schedule as we are working hard to ensure the safety of our families and staff by social distancing.
Will I need to wear a face mask when I come to the meet and greet meeting w/the teacher?
- Face Mask and Social Distancing will be enforced on campus, all students and parents on campus MUST follow CDC guidelines. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
What if I need a computer or hot spot and did not request for one? What do I do?
- If you need technology and have not yet requested it, please log into Parent Connect and indicate that your child needs a laptop and/or a hotspot. We will work to get your child the technology they need. Please note that currently, hot spots are on back order. There was an email sent from the district/CUSD regarding hot spots and limited amount being distributed at this time. Also, when you meet with your student’s teacher, they will note that your student needs a laptop and/or hotspot and admin will contact you by the end of the week.
How will instruction look the first week of school?
- Your student’s teacher will contact you daily during the first week of school. The teacher may contact your student via phone call or zoom. Instructions will come from your student’s teacher about the first week of school and student engagement. In this first week, we want to take time to build relationships, so activities/instruction will look a little different for each class.
When will lunch be served?
- Meal service will take place starting tomorrow, Monday, August 17th from 6:30am through 8:30am in the south parking lot. It will take place Monday through Friday same time every morning. The entrance will start on the west side entrance where the preschool is located. The main entrance on the south side will be taped off for staff parking only. Look for signage to guide you in the correct direction. Also, please have your student’s ID number available as you will be asked for it to receive the meal. (ID numbers can be found on parent connect).
During online learning, you student will be utilizing zoom as a way to connect with their teacher and classmates. Here are some information regarding the usage of zoom:
Q: What will the first day of school (August 17th) look like for my child? See the attached bell schedule for Tarpey’s online learning schedule.
A: All students will begin the year with online virtual instruction. Teachers will be communicating with their students before August 17th with instructions for the first day of school.
Q: How will my child get their textbooks, workbooks, and other materials as needed?
A: Teachers will be communicating the distribution plan to students. Our goal is to distribute all materials during the first week of school. Instructions will be communicated before August 17th.
Q: When and how will I pick up my child's CUSD laptop and/or Hot Spot that I requested when I did my Annual Information Update?
A: These items will be distributed during the first week of school in our distribution plan. Instructions will be communicated before August 17th.
Q: I signed my child up for Traditional Learning, what does that mean?
A: Your child is starting the school year with online instruction. When the Governor lifts his closure of Fresno County schools and Clovis Unified has returned to in person instruction, students with the traditional option will return to face to face on campus learning. Safety precautions will be in place for students and employees.
Q: I signed up my child for Online Learning and then selected Scheduled Virtual, what does that mean?
A: Your child is starting the school year with online instruction. When the Governor lifts his closure of Fresno County schools and Clovis Unified has returned to in person instruction, your child will commit to a final option.
Q: I signed up my child for Online Learning and then selected Flexible Online, what does that mean?
A: Starting August 17th your child will be enrolled in the TK-5th online learning program called Accelerate Education. In 6th grade, the program is called Edgenuity. Both programs use an online program that teaches, reviews and assess students in all subjects at their specific grade level. A CUSD teacher will monitor, communicate, and support students. This program does not have a set schedule and students can log on according to their flexible schedule. Your child will still be enrolled at Tarpey, while utilizing a different program.
Q: What if I now want to change my choice between Traditional, Scheduled Virtual, and Flexible Online?
A: Until the Governor reopens, Traditional and Scheduled Virtual will be the same, there is no need to request a change between Traditional and Scheduled Virtual at this time. When we reopen, more information will be sent out. Flexible Online registration is now closed, as we have built our schedule for the year based on student selections.
Q: How will instruction look in the Fall compared to the Spring? Will my student be listening/watching their teacher for every minute of every instructional block?
A: Students will be engaging in virtual learning. Similar to traditional (face to face) instruction, teachers will break up those instructional blocks with direct instruction, modeling, viewing videos, independent practice, partner work, small group/breakout sessions, to provide and support various learning modalities. Zoom sessions will be on during instructional blocks and often used as a communication platform between students and teachers.
Q: On the first day of school will the teachers begin instructing on Zoom in the morning?
A: Students learn best when they feel safe and have a relationship with their teacher. At Tarpey we believe it is critical to build positive relationships with our students. The beginning of school will focus heavily on teachers building a sense of family and unity with their new class virtually. It will also be a time to set expectations, procedures, and rules to ensure all students are safe, comfortable, and ready to learn.
Q: How are parents going to attend Back to School Night?
A: Back to School Night will NOT be conducted in person. Our plan will be communicated this upcoming week through email. Parents and students will get to meet their teacher at a scheduled time (date/time to be communicated in the near future).
Q: We are new to Tarpey or I have a TK or Kindergartener. This is all new to me and a bit overwhelming. Do you have help for new parents?
A: Please watch for emails from the school or contact our administration at (559) 327-8000.
Q: I feel that my child is struggling academically and/or social-emotionally. I'm worried they are going to struggle this year. What is Tarpey’s plan to address my concerns?
A: We know many students will be behind and will struggle. Teachers will assess and address these concerns and struggles. Classroom teachers, along with additional intervention teachers, Transition Student Relations Liaisons, and other support staff will work together to meet the needs our students. We will continue to use our RISE system to give students a sense of normalcy and have some fun.
Q: My child receives Special Education services. I have questions about their IEP and services?
A: Your child's case manager will be reaching out to discuss plans and answer your questions. They will discuss how accommodations, IEPs, and minutes will work in this online format.
Q: I still have more unanswered questions. What do I do?
A: You will see an increase in emails and texts with information this upcoming week. The website is being updated. Once school starts, we will be resuming with weekly Friday morning announcements (digital style). Please know that we are a phone call away. Feel free to contact us at 327-8000.
It is my top priority as your child’s principal to communicate openly and frequently to keep you updated on important developments. I appreciate your support and cooperation, and I value our partnership to ensure a top-quality educational experience for our Spartans as I am convinced, we will RISE the Spartan Way as a community.
Tachua Vue, Ed. D.
Tarpey Elementary School